1. Fire up a new hippo project from the project achrtype
2. Build and run with setup with MySQL DB.
3. Login inside the Console.
4. Under /hst:hst/hst:configurations copy an existing configuration and paste under the same structure with a different name.
5. Click on write changes into the repository.
6. Stop the project.
7. Now delete the storage folder and the database.
8. Create the same empty database.
9. Start the project with the -Drepo.bootstrap=true option.
10. Login the the console.
11. Check the nodes under: /hst:hst/hst:configurations
I should see the previously created configuration.
If that counts I was also having the channel the site and the documents for that configuration. They are not lost, just the configuration node.
See attached screenshot about the end-result.